January 11, 2022
Dear Elmont Families,
I am writing to inform you of important changes to COVID-19 related isolation and quarantine guidelines developed by the State and local health departments.
On January 4, 2022, the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) released Interim Updated Isolation and Quarantine Guidance (HERE). On January 10, 2022, we received further notice from NYSDOH on this topic (attached) and Nassau County Department of Health (HERE). Please be advised this guidance is subject to change. These changes are effective immediately and apply to all students:
- Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 will be required to isolate for a minimum of 5 days (regardless of vaccination status). If symptoms persist, further isolations will be required; otherwise, they may attend school after the 5-day isolation.
- All fully vaccinated individuals, who have been exposed to an individual with COVID-19 may continue to attend school (if asymptomatic). Students who are not fully vaccinated or have not completed a primary vaccine series who came into close contact with someone with COVID-19 must quarantine for at least 5 days after their last close contact.
- If your child was directed to isolate or quarantine for ten days and has completed five days and meets the other requirements in the linked guidance (fever free, etc.), your child may return to school. We will be reaching out to families beginning today.
- Students who are symptomatic MUST stay home from school and continue to isolate/quarantine.
- Upon return after five days, it is essential that a well-fitting mask is worn at all times. Cloth masks are no longer recommended.
- The District has paper masks for any individual who needs one to comply with the shortened isolation/quarantine period.
Please take the time to review the linked documents carefully as they outline several major changes to the previous expectations for isolation and quarantines outlined above.
If your child tests positive or you have specific questions regarding your child’s quarantine or isolation period, please contact Perrotta Consulting via email at email@example.com and/or by phone at (516) 434-2031.
Superintendent of Schools
Click here to view as a pdf